Re: Alone from the start

Subject: Re: Alone from the start
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:05:02 -0800

Milan Davidovic wrote:

So it appears that a number of people have been hired
as first-time tech writers into situations where
they'd be working on their own. What would lead a
manager to take on a first-timer and have them work
solo?

Often, a first-timer has some writing credits, just not any in tech-writing. They may also have had a position where they had to set their own priorities in the past. In these situations, any risk in hiring a first-timer is minimal.

Also, if a company is set up so that everybody sets their own everyday working priorities - a very common situation in small companies - naturally the writer would be expected to do the same.

"Now everything's lurching out of control, they're infiltrating my head,
When I woke up this morning, they were all around my bed,
If I knew who the enemy was, I'd shoot the bastard - dead."
-Leon Rosselson, "Somebody's Stolen the End of My Dream"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr