RE: Online Help for a J2EE server-side application

Subject: RE: Online Help for a J2EE server-side application
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:34:14 -0800

Debra,
(Disclaimer: the last time I looked at JavaHelp was v2(?) a year ago. I
have no idea if they've updated anything since then.) Your developer is
correct and not correct. JavaHelp does involve running the JVM on the
client, but it does not have to be run through a browser (that's why you
have the JVM). At my last job I started with JavaHelp because we were,
at the time, writing an applet and the JVM would've been downloaded to
the user's machine anyway with the app. Once we went to J2EE, I had to
abandon that.

My choice was to use straight HTML, linked from the application
interface. Very straightforward. We later incorporated an online index
using an indexing tool whose name is escaping me at the moment... rats.
I'm sure someone here knows what it is. Runs about $200 US. That would
eliminate your browser dependencies.

I do think it would be worthwhile to subscribe to the JavaHelp mailing
list (through http://java.sun.com). You can look through the archives
and post the question there to see if anyone else has come up with a
better alternative in the last year or if they are coming out with a new
version. Also, you could try to contact the author of the JavaHelp book
from O'Reilly that came out last fall. http://www.oreilly.com

Good luck! I'd be interested to hear what solution you finally come up
with.

Lisa

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr