RE: PDF to HTML

Subject: RE: PDF to HTML
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:39:41 -0800

Jeff Simon asks,

<<
Question 1: Am I correct or is there a program that can capture PDF and
convert to HTML code?
[snip]
Question 2: Which method would you recommend to convert PDF to HTML?

And Earl Cooley provided some links to potential tools.

I'm going to ask the obvious question here, though: Does your client
have the source material?

>From the phrasing of your question, it sounds like they want to change
the delivery format of their content from PDF to HTML. If they still
have the source material (Word doc, Frame file, RTF, etc.), obviously
this is fairly trivial.

Sometimes the best solutions are to evaluate your assumptions.

If, indeed, all they have are PDF files, and you need to extract text,
try the Save as RTF option in Acrobat 5. You'll have to then format
everything in HTML--paste it into a text-only editor and add your markup
by hand, is my suggestion. HomeSite is great for this type of job.
WYSIWYG editors may try to keep the formatting that Acrobat exports,
which is all over the map... With HomeSite, and a little practice, this
can go pretty quickly. I can manually format 30-40 printed pages an hour
in HomeSite...

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr