Re: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio

Subject: Re: job interview question: ethical issues about portfolio
From: Bernd Hutschenreuther <bernd -dot- hutschenreuther -at- net-linx -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:36:11 +0100

Hi,
there may be another (additional) ethical issue about portfolio.

You must consider the copyright.

For me, it would be difficult - that means - impossible, to put in any of my work files, because they are copyrighted and confidential.

I would have to create new examples, if I want to apply for a job.

So I would not only have to think about changes, but about new creations.

It was the same with my old job. Some years ago, I had the situation: no working examples. I applied as programmer. Fortunately, I included some fanzines, I produced before.
So they asked me, If I would like to become a technical writer. Strange.

I started the job, and it worked. I knew both processes: software development and writing. To include these fanzines with poetry and SF was a kind of adventure, anyhow.

Best regards
Bernd

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr