RE: Question about dressing for job interv

Subject: RE: Question about dressing for job interv
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:42:17 -0500

<frivolity>

This seems more of a male/female issue than I would have thought!

Maybe it's just that women have more options... For us guys, the basic
choices are:

Shirt, no tie
Shirt & tie
Jacket, no tie
Jacket & tie
Suit

For women, the choices include all manner of basic outfit types, including,
but not limited to:
Slacks
Dress
Skirt
Pantsuit
Suit

Not to mention the accessories:
Stockings (I assume that pantyhose are OK in lieu of real stockings, but
what about knee-highs?)
High heels v. flats v. sandals v. boots v. open-toes

And what about hair style - up or down? Amount of make up? Severe or frilly
blouse? And then there's the handbag - is a backpack ever appropriate
(especially if you're NOT riding a bicycle to the interview)?

</frivolity>

I also agree that experience plays a role in what to wear. Having been in
software development almost exclusively for 27 years, I haven't worn a tie
to an interview in a long time, let alone a suit. I make it a point to ask
about the corporate dress 'code' when I set up an interview, and I dress
appropriately. Usually that means a pair of slacks (Docker-like), an ironed
shirt, and, if it's winter, a sweater. The goal is to know your audience and
be able to mix freely with them. However, I draw the line at wearing a
costume - even if it IS Halloween!

And Janice ... even in the conservative Boston area, slacks would be OK for
an interview at almost all software development companies. Not the banks or
financial institutions, though.

My 2¢,

John