RE: Lingua Franca Today - a reflection on this discussion....

Subject: RE: Lingua Franca Today - a reflection on this discussion....
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:01:06 -0500

When I taught Intro to Technical Writing, I used a similar "model" that I
got from Merrill Whitburn, a professor of technical communications at
Rensselaer.

He found a series of 5 or 6 articles written about the same subject
(day/night cycles in oysters), but which were written for, and published
in, different magazines - ranging from The Saturday Evening Post to Journal
of Cell Biology.

As you can imagine, the vocabulary changed markedly - from 'day/night' to
'diurnal' and so forth. The sentence structure changed too, from rather
straight-forward short sentences to excruciatingly long Latinate
constructions crafted almost totally in passive voice.

And, so did the manner of writing also change. The more popular audience
articles made statements (Oysters show symptoms ...) while the writing for
the more esoteric audiences did not aver anything, rather it alluded almost
coyly to possibilities (A study of the literature seems to indicate that
oysters tend to react ...).

It all boils down to the same simple fact that was pointed out a few days
ago at the beginning of this thread (rope? cable?) - Know Thy Audience.

Kelley seems to know her audience pretty well. We know ours. Her choice my
not be our choices, our choices might not work for her.

Use your own cognitive functions to actually make your own decisions, but
make sure you know who's on the reading end of what you write.

My 2¢,

John