RE: Microsoft Word Editing and Help

Subject: RE: Microsoft Word Editing and Help
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:55:41 +1100

> Does anyone know a good Microsoft Word or Office List - that you can post
questions to?

The Word-PC list you dissed so badly :-) Mind you - I cant blame you in some
ways. As the resident Grand Poobah of Assorted VBA Magix and Udder Tricks
<evil snickering ensues> I was on hols when you started posting and so was a
bit late for some of your queries.

In a pinch, you are also welcome to email me directly. I am an Aussie, so
our times are possibly upside down compared to yours.

However, there is also the beloved old news server found at
msnews.microsoft.com where the MVPs crawl over each other to help you. The
best Word MVPs can be found there ALWAYS.

> If you're designing a Document in Word that requires tables - doesn't it
make more sense to create the Table in Excel (a much more powerful program)
and then simply import the Excel Table into the Word Document? Is that what
most of you do? It's a lot more hassle to create a Table in Word itself.

Nope. Excel tables are a whole different kettle of fish. If you want
calculations, sure embed a spreadsheet, otherwise its tables tables tables
:-)

> For Importing Graphics into MS Word - I've heard SnagIt is a great
program.
Has anyone used Snagit or do you prefer another program for this purpose?

Not only do they rock, they support this list. They also sent me a fabo xmas
pressy (their std promotional pack, but as it is aimed at tech writers, I
loved it).

> What program or Feature do you use to create Screenshots in MS Word?

Print Screen key, then Ctrl+V into Photo Editor. Give to the gfx designer to
color adjust etc.

> If you have to initially design a piece of Documentation in MS Word - once
you've done so - can you convert the Word Document to Adobe Acrobat Reader
or Framemaker format?

Word -> FM and vv loses infrastructure stuff and has probs. Acrobat
Distiller comes with PdfMaker which does Word -> PDf direct very nicely.
Other products exist to do similar.

> In Technical Writing -what are the most frequently used Formats that Word
Documents are converted to?

HTML, HLP, PDF, RTF, TXT, XML.

> What are the most frequently used types of MS Word Templates used by
Technical Writers?

Custom ones... I can see you are having real problems coming to terms with
the role of template in the development of documentation.

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Principal Technical Writer
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus)
EyeSpring - the future of graphics has been created.

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr