Re: Toastmasters

Subject: Re: Toastmasters
From: bartelmm -at- appliedbiosystems -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:29:59 -0600

Dave Bazell wrote: I am glad to see toastmastsers mentioned here. I have
been thinking of
joining and wanted to discuss the benefits that others have found with the
organization. My hope was to several things out of toastmasters. First, I
understand that it is directed at improving one's speaking abilities. But
what exactly does that mean? I would like to learn how to better organized
my talks, how to present them in a more dynamic manner, how to relax and
not
be so nervous. Are these the things that one gets from joining?

I also hope that these improvements would carry over into my writing
abilities: better organization, presentation, etc. Can anyone speak to
that?

I am also looking for ways to improve my interviewing skills. Carol Anne
mentioned that she is a better listener and can provide better feedback to
others. Are there other people with experiences that they would describe
as
better interviewing skills?
I was in Toastmasters about 3 years ago, and I completed the Communication
and Leadership Program, which is a series of 10 speeches to my Toastmaster
group.

Yes, Dave, those are the things one gets from joining. In each of the 10
speeches, the participant is give an objective (or two) and a duration for
the speech (4 - 6 minutes, 5 - 7 minutes.)

For example, speech No. 4 was "Show What you Mean." The objectives were:
"To learn the value of gestures and body movements as part of a speech; to
explore the different ways of using body language; To develop a sense of
timing and natureal, smooth body movement."

For this speech, the workbook addresses the importance of building the
speech and of rehearsal and tells you how to do this; it gives examples of
how to use gestures ("A third member who liked to fish described how he
caught a large marlin. He used hend and arm gestures to show how he handled
the line and how he pulled it in. Naturally, he indicated the gigantic size
of the fish with his arms, and his face showed the struggle and the
triumph.")

Speech No. 8 was "Make It Persuasive." The objectives were: "To present a
talk that persuades the audience to accept your proposal or viewpoint; to
achieve this persuasive effect by appealing to the audience's self-interst,
building a logical foundation for agreement, and arousing emotional
commitment to your cause."

For this speech, the workbook addresses the importance of analyzing your
audience and playing to their self-interest. It refers to Aristotle's three
pillars of persuasion: facts, emotions, credibility (yours!).

Toastmasters recommends that you adopt a five-step structure for this
speech: Attention, Need, Satisfaction, Visualization, Action. It gives
detailed explanations of how to get their attention, state the need or
problem, present a solution, draw a picture of future conditions, and get
commitment for action.

So, the resources that the speechmaker has are very good and the
environment is very positive and encouraging. The participant is evaluated
by peers who really care about your progress. I think Toastmasters is a
great organization. I learned alot. Toastmasters mostly helped me think
on my feet and organize ideas in my head before they came out of my mouth.
I'm not really sure that this has carried over into my writing. It
probably has, I just haven't given it alot of thought.

To keep this thread relevant, the Advanced Communication and Leadership
Program has a program specifically for technical presentations.

Mary B.

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr