RE: Toastmasters

Subject: RE: Toastmasters
From: "McCarter, Kim" <kmccarte -at- harris -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:19:44 -0500

As with most things, what you get out of Toastmasters really depends on what you
put in to it; however, it is important to know that the Toastmasters manuals and
speeches are developed to assist with improvement in all the areas you
mentioned, as well as other areas that are equally important. And, certainly,
improvements in organization, presentation, management, confidence, etc will
filter over into all aspects of your life - you'll be surprised where these
attributes come in handy.

As for better interviewing skills, the biggest thing to help most people in
interviews (that I've seen) is the ability to truly listen. What does it mean
to truly listen? The best information on communicating and listening I ever
received was in a college Education course that focused on parent/teacher
conferences and discussed feedback skills such as 'Reflexive statements' and the
like. I'll have to see if I can find the info, but the bottom line is that it's
more important to truly listen than most people realize; it's a much bigger boon
to effective communication than speaking (of course, speaking WELL is helpful,
too). :-)

_________________________________
Kim McCarter
Information Design & Development
Harris Corporation, Network Support Division
(321) 724-3497
kmccarte -at- harris -dot- com

*****Confidentiality Notice*****
This message is confidential . If you are not the intended recipient, you may
not copy or otherwise disclose the contents of this message to any other person.
If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender
immediately by return e-mail. Thank you.

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr