RE: Lingua Franca Today - a reflection on this discussion....

Subject: RE: Lingua Franca Today - a reflection on this discussion....
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:43:17 +1100

Hi guys,

Am I the only person who read this thread who thought, at some point, "gee
folks are being just a trifle rough on Kelley?".

Not only haven't we come up with a definition for lingua franca - which may
suck as an expression in documents due to the lack of knowledge of what it
means - but then Kelley's question was if we could provide a definition. I
think the definition was that "lingua franca" is the common jargon or
business talk slang used in an area of business or society, understood by
the people in those areas, however prone to misunderstanding by those not in
constant contact with the area of business or society. Lingua franca is the
short-hand language used in that area. [let me put in a side note - that
definition is too wordy...but I hope Kelley has the time to fix it up!].

But there was certain behaviour, by some who you would hope would know
better, that appears to border on downright hostile.

I wonder how any of us would feel if someone accused one of us of plagiarism
on this list? In front of all our peers saying we were stealing without a
care in the world the hard work of others. Yet in this instance that
happened - on this list - and no-one even said boo!

Kelley's response was dignified and restrained - I suspect she maybe on
Prozac or Valium to react so calmly. I suspect if it had been me I would
have been booted by Eric.J.Ray for my response - and unlikely be allowed
back for many more matches than Shaq got....

Perhaps some folks should read what they have written before they hit send,
and others should just be muzzled.

My regrets if this sounds like a little bit of a rant - but as technical
writers we are here to defend and use not only the language - but to ensure
a certain level of decorum and truth in its use. Just because we can turn a
clever phrase doesn't mean we have the right to slander or libel someone.

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes
Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au

(61) (03) 9301-1695

EAA/N,
Melbourne Central, Level 49.12,
360 Elizabeth Street,
Melbourne 3000

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr