RE: Gray hair and first impressions

Subject: RE: Gray hair and first impressions
From: "Harry Thompson" <hthompson -at- instranet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:47:37 +0100

First of all, I'd like to say that in the US you are very lucky because you
don't have to put all sorts of info onto your CVs to get to the interview
stage. Here in Europe it is customary to provide all the sifting info on
paper from the very beginning. Age, sex, inside leg measurement, you name
it; they want to know it before they'll even see you.
Now, I'm a wee slip of a lad of 34, had my first grey hairs at 15, and am
now 60% grey. IMHO...If people are going to discriminate on the basis of
your age, there's very little you can do. Funnily enough, in my twenties I
got more responsibilities passed my way at work because they thought the
grey hair made me more "managerial". If you're worried about the hair thing,
they'll pick up on it. There's always something people will find to use
against you.
At one job interview I had it was a signet ring I was wearing. I personally
check out the socks people wear and have employed people purely on that
basis (and before you all shout, kick and scream, the two candidates were
equal in everything else). I got my current job because I share the same
taste in music as the boss.
You have two options:
1. Become a walking know-it-all and get a job on that basis alone with Mr
Plato
2. Be open, patient and charming whilst hoping that any personality quirk
will please in an interview with the rest of the world.

Having great hair is also very important in marketing!
Best of luck
Harry