Re: Wardrobe/shoe choice for Interviews: is height an issue for women?

Subject: Re: Wardrobe/shoe choice for Interviews: is height an issue for women?
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:18:28 -0500

And I'm worried that the person who interviews me might have just broken up with someone who has green eyes. Should I get colored contacts?

At some point - and I think this thread passed that point a few days ago - worry over what kind of first impression we're making sabotages our ability to make that impression well. If you feel more confident and professional wearing heels, wear heels. I for one never notice how tall people are, but maybe that's because most people are taller than I am. :-)

(For the record, I'm 5'2", which I'm sure puts me at risk for being considered too *something* by some people. I don't wear heels, because I hate them, but if you like the things more power to ya.)

At 3:23 AM -0500 1/20/02, Estella Binoche wrote:

As long as we're evaluating interview appearance from every possible angle, how about this one: I'm a 5'10'' tall woman. Sometimes during my career I've gotten the feeling that men are a little intimidated by my height. I'm wondering if any other tall women out there have ever had this experience and, if so, have you responded by going with flatter shoes during for the interviewing process? I'm getting ready for a round of interviews and would prefer to wear my stacked heel pumps, but I'm wondering if I'd be wise to look for low-heeled loafers, in order to minimize my height. Does anyone have any thoughts?

thanks, estella

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr