RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:51:06 -0500

Amen. I should spend the time defining styles for a two-page one-off document in a program I hardly ever use at home? The only reason I have a copy of Word at all is because most people seem to want resumes in that format (I've only seen a couple of requests for text, btw, and none at all for pdf in the three months I've now been looking).

I can certainly see the need for rigorous use of styles in documentation (being a Frame fan, I could hardly think otherwise :-), but this seems like a rather arbitrary test to impose, particularly if none of your candidates know it's a job criterion.

Rebecca

At 9:26 AM -0700 1/29/02, kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

Glenn wrote:

<snip>

> Hence, if you have a tendancy to use Word fast and loosely and are quick
with the Bold, Italic, and bullet buttons, hide that with a PDF.
> Otherwise you'll be flamed (unknowingly).=20
To me the above advice is only pertinent if the job you're applying for
requires you to use Word, and expects a level of Word expertise. As we've
seen on this list, many writers avoid Word when possible (and jobs that
require it), and might just be whipping together a Word resume to meet
submission requirements.

<snip>

- Keith Cronin