Re: A cautionary tale: Portfolio Assessment

Subject: Re: A cautionary tale: Portfolio Assessment
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:01:45 -0800

KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

Otherwise, I disagree. I believe the circumstances are extremely limited, in which true competitors don't already have plenty of copies of the other company's customer documentation. You would not be giving them anything they didn't already have.

The point isn't whether a competitor will learn anything or not from a sample. Unless I'm a shareholder, why would I personally care one way or the other? Anyway, you're undoubtedly right that competitors know all about what each other is doing.

The point is that a company has every right to control how its documents are circulated. Whether I agree with its policies or think them ridiculous is beside the point; if I go against its wishes, then I may be hurting myself in the market. In the eyes of the company that owned the sample, I'd be proving myself unreliable. Once I do that, any hope of doing business with the company again is probably gone. Moreover, with the way that people circulate between companies, other companies could also decide that I can't be trusted.

Taking the time to ask permission and using the material only as authorized takes very little effort on my part, and may help my business reputation. So why not do it?
A single unauthorized sample just isn't worth the risk.