RE: A cautionary tale: Portfolio Assessment

Subject: RE: A cautionary tale: Portfolio Assessment
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:52:30 -0500

Bruce Byfield [mailto:bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com] said:

> First, always get permission to leave copies from the
> sample's owner - the company you did the work for. Some
> companies that have no objection to a sample being in your
> portfolio will object to you leaving the sample behind.
> Others won't object to the sample being left at some
> companies, but would rather it wasn't left with a rival
> company. To avoid bad blood, get permission, and keep a
> record of how you can use each sample.

If the document in question was a secret, in-house
document, I might agree. How often are most folks
going to be shopping those around in their portfolios?

Otherwise, I disagree. I believe the circumstances are
extremely limited, in which true competitors don't
already have plenty of copies of the other company's
customer documentation. You would not be giving them
anything they didn't already have.

It's SOP. You buy the competitor's product and take
it apart to see what you are up against. That includes
reviewing their docs, to see whether:

a) they are better than yours ( giving you some ideas
for improving your own docs) or

b) they are worse than yours, giving your sales and
business development people some amunition...

/kevin