RE: Dealing with changes in documentation for translation purposes

Subject: RE: Dealing with changes in documentation for translation purposes
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:41:37 -0700

If translation memory is not already in your translation process, then
you need to make it part of the process. Specifically, a translation
tool like Trados uses translation memory. In their case, their database
stores things at the sentence level and is smart enough to handle/ignore
formatting tags when making a match.

As such, if the sentence is in the translation memory, it doesn't matter
where it appears or how often, it will be matched on.

Even with translation memory, you can save expenses by localizing the
changes to files. However, remembering the exact changes below the file
level probably isn't worth the effort. Run it through the tool and let
it auto-translate from what's in its database; you'll get no matches or
fuzzy matches for things it doesn't have (new or altered material).

Translation companies charge about 20% of the actual translation costs
for sentences it can pull from the database.

Glenn Maxey
Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
1765 West 121st Avenue
Westminster, CO 80234-2301
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com