Re: Planning & time mgmnt for a techwriter

Subject: Re: Planning & time mgmnt for a techwriter
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:27:00 -0500

John Cornellier wrote:
> I'm trying to work out how much time I can allocate to my various techwriting
> projects in 2002.
> So I'm working on a formula as follows:
> The number of working days left in the year
> minus my holidays
> minus 20 per cent for ...
> You get the idea. ... What do the personnel textbooks say?

One rule of thumb I know was used in some personnel dep'ts (Canadian gov't
some years ago) was 220 working days a year for the average employee. 52
weeks - annual vacation = 49 weeks or 245 days. Knock off the statutory
holidays, allow for illness, etc. and you're at 220.

This does not account for things like bugfixing, training, admin, ...

existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you.

Planning & time mgmnt for a techwriter: From: John Cornellier