Re: Applying On-Line

Subject: Re: Applying On-Line
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:50:02 -0500

Brian Hooper wrote:

> Plain text is universally preferred.

Methinks it certainly should be, but I don't think it is.

I once sent email enquiring about a job in Unix security, and including
my resume in plain text. The reply asked me to submit a resume in Word.
I did not bother replying.

> With this format, employers can access relevant sender's material faster,
> with little effort. Believe me, even the extra step of opening an
> attachment can cause problems for potential employers.

Methinks you understate. Word macros can carry viruses. I'd no more
open a Word attachment from someone I didn't know than I'd have
unprotected sex with a lass I'd just met.

At least in my area -- Unix and Internet security -- I'd consider sending
me a Word (or Excel, Word Perfect, ...) file a sure sign of incompetence.
Scrap that resume right now: he/she is an idiot.

However, I've seen recruiters that really needed Word. They were preparing
complex bid docs in Word and needed to include the teams' resumes. Also,
I've seen clients that preferred Word.

> ... Unless asked to send otherwise, it would be best to send your resume in
> plain text.

Yes, but I'd add in the covering letter that other formats are available
on request. Unless the letter was getting too long, I'd list the formats
and be sure to include at least PDF and Word.

For Word, consider listing the version number you have or asking theirs.
I don't know details, but I do know there can be problems there.