Re: dreaded Word HTML

Subject: Re: dreaded Word HTML
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:22:05

Subject: RE: Most dreaded part of the job?
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com

At least you're not having to reformat "HTML" that was created by Word (my pick for most dreaded).

That gave me a laugh; I've been cleaning up Word's HTML for two and a half days now (in Notepad). It's tedious and dull, but one thing even worse is getting strange looks from co-workers who say "just save the document as html in Word."

One file was too big for Notepad, so I used Word with the file saved as plain-text format. I asked it to get rid of all instances of the <B> tag, and it made 285 replacements.

I've heard that Word will write cleaner HTML if the document you're converting doesn't have a lot of formatting in it. Just for laughs, I should try converting some of the docs created by a new writer in our group - he and our manager love EMPHASIS and I've seen them publish lines that use bold, italic, underline, all caps, red font color, and yellow highlighting. (Should I tell them about the <blink> tag? Nah...)

- A