docs fitting into development

Subject: docs fitting into development
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:22:10

Yesterday I amusedly watched my manager and a project leader butting heads over this issue. First, for background, our development group "finishes" modules and turns them over to our internal QA group. If they pass, they then go on to a client QA group. Our doc group has always begun to document the interface (via hands-on testing) beginning from the time our QA group gets the material.

The project leader (new to the company) requested that the documentation be complete when our QA group gets the modules. I told him that as long as the materials are still in development, it's too soon to take a snapshot of them. My manager told him that we document what comes out of our QA, so the doc accurately reflects what goes to the client QA (not what the client design specifies, or what the code says, but what the interface actually does).

The amusing thing about the project manager's view is how it completely ignores the time required to document the materials. In that view, if the development is finished, why wouldn't the documentation be finished at the same time?

For the heck of it, I went ahead and tried to capture some interface elements I would need for the documentation. I found tables without data, fragments of java appearing on the screens, and my favorite of all - a popup error message that said DANG and nothing more.

(This reminds me of a line by Groucho Marx, in the role of Captain Spaulding, about taking pictures.)

- A