Word TOC and Index questions

Subject: Word TOC and Index questions
From: "Hanlie Pretorius" <hpretorius -at- pnp -dot- co -dot- za>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:57:29 +0200

Hi All

I hope one of the Word experts can help me because I can't find the
information on the Word Support or MVP pages and I can't see the
newsgroups - I think our proxy server is the problem.

I work in Windows 2000 and Office 2000 SR-1. I have a 300-page Word document
that consists mostly of links to other Word documents and each of these
documents have links to many screenshots. I have the following problems
with this document:

1. When I create the TOC, some entries from the linked documents contain
only the first letter of the heading from which they come. The page number
is correct but the text of the entry disappears.

2. Some of my index entries don't appear in the index, even though their XE
codes are there and look exactly like those entries that do appear, except
for the text of the entry, of course.

I would also like to know how I can cross reference between the linked
documents, i.e. how do I create field codes that cross reference to another
document?

Thanks

Hanlie Pretorius

Technical Writer