Re: Applying On-Line

Subject: Re: Applying On-Line
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:05:39 -0800

Some of you are missing the point. This is NOT about tools snobbery - your
resume in Word or WP or Pagemaker or Frame or whatever is the first example
of your ability that I see. This is the first thing I see that shows me what
you can do. It also shows me your ability to think in a logical manner and
your sense of structure by how you chunk your resume.

No styles and hand formatting clues me that you probably don't work the way
we work here. So I delete your resume. Unless it is really bad, then I pass
it around for the giggle and then we trash it. We simply do not have time in
my company to teach you what we consider basic work habits.

When I get 10 unsolicited resumes a week, I have to use some screening
method. We have found that writers who do not use styles properly in their
resume USUALLY do not use them in their work. Since we need you to use your
tools properly and the example you sent us doesn't show that ability, what
do you want us to do? Call you and ask for further examples of stuff? Why? I
think we saw enough - this was what you were most proud of because you sent
it to us first to show us what you can do.

I also teach Frame at the local University. The tech writers who have the
hardest time are the ones who NEVER learned to use styles in Word or WP
or? - don't know what they are and are confused about the time we spend in
Frame on this topic. They simply do not get Frame and they think it is
restrictive to their creative freedom. That's fine but don't bill yourself
as a senior writer in that case, cause you are not. In my opinion.

And, yes, we do get the kind of writers we want. I have perhaps the best
group of writers in So Cal working for me. Hands down the best.

To Laura Lemay - your reputation precedes you. You I would call back. But
you are the rare exception.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org