RE: Applying On-Line

Subject: RE: Applying On-Line
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:54:07 -0700

I'll grant you that it is an over-generalization that even I don't
follow when interviewing tech writing candidates. (But they better be
prepared to field some pointed questions about the tools they use and
how.)

When I consider all of the executive secretaries and marketing people
with whom I have worked, the mess they created in Word, and my
one-on-one training/conjoling/lecturing, there was a strong correlation
between _not_ using styles and their tool-ignorance & tool-phobia.

> A lack of skill or knowledge in
> using Word styles is not the same thing as not understanding
> how structure makes a document easier to maintain,

Correct. But they certainly don't get any brownie points from me if I
see that their resume isn't easy to maintain.

> and you do yourself and
> your candidate a disservice if you place too much emphasis on that.

Not really. Over the course of my tech writing career, I have spent far
too much time fixing up other people's documents with styles BEFORE I
could even look at their document for content.

The last thing I want to do is to re-work my techpubs co-worker's
document to get it to conform to the company standards.