RE: Word styles, resumes, and being pragmatic

Subject: RE: Word styles, resumes, and being pragmatic
From: Hannah <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 16:00:24 EST

The best argument for using styles in a resume is efficiency. Forget whether
or not others will notice - to me that is a side issue. Usually I update my
resume every couple of months. Sometimes it is longer between edits. If I use
styles I don't have to futz around making sure I have all of the proper font
settings. I can just go in and add what's needed. And I don't know about
anyone else, but I have several resumes that each focus on different aspects
of my background depending on the job I'm going for. Formatting on the fly
would drag out how long it would take me to update my resume. My memory is not
so good that I'll remember in three months what font I used at which size,
etc.

Also, for those who do check resumes for styles, I'm sure it makes a
difference when you see a resume in Word without styles where the candidate
has listed Word as a skill in comparison to one that does not list Word as a
skill. One is making a claim about their skill in Word and should thus be
subject to proving it. The other is making no such claims and should not
(IMHO) be subject to the same test.

hannah Bissell
to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1