RE: I just got one of those resumes

Subject: RE: I just got one of those resumes
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 14:53:17 +1000

Martin,
I think you've missed the point of Sharon's message: this applicant calls himself an "expert Word user" but doesn't use the tool as an expert would. What *is* she to think? That he's lying? That he thinks he's an expert but really hasn't a clue? That he's an expert in some parts of Word, but not in styles? Something else?

I don't consider myself to be a Word expert, though compared to my clients I certainly am. I know some features very well, and can fix some problems easily, but I know there are huge areas of stuff about Word (and Office) that I have never used and don't know anything about. And if I ever dealt with someone who thought being a Word expert included extensive use of, and knowledge about, macros, I'd fail straightaway.

Jean

At 04:45 PM 1/31/2002 -0700, Smith, Martin wrote:

I think I could teach him to use my FrameMaker template in about 20 minutes.
<snip>
When I started this job I promised myself that I would never ask an
applicant about tool use and I meant it.

Martin R. Smith