RE: Word styles, resumes, and being pragmatic

Subject: RE: Word styles, resumes, and being pragmatic
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:59:44 +1000

John Posada writes,

Wanna REALLY impress me? If the job requires Frame or HTML, send me
the same resume as both a doc and fm or html file and have them look
EXACTLY THE SAME. Shows me that you not only know how to use styles,
but that you are their MASTER! That you can REALLY get them to do
EXACTLY what you want.

To me, a master techwriter knows that a resume displayed in HTML quite probably should look different than a resume formatted for a printed page, so *I* would be more impressed if the results were suitable for the medium, rather than identical in appearance. That shows you know more than just how to use the tools; you know how to use them to *communicate*.

Anybody can save as HTML from Word, get something that looks the same but is coded horribly and/or displays badly under some conditions. Many people who do that have no idea (a) *why* the results display badly, and (b) how to change the coding so it displays well. Never mind whether you think code bloat is a problem -- I'm talking about visible results (though I think a master of tools will purge code bloat too).

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/