Re: Hand-styling resumes, and BENEFITS

Subject: Re: Hand-styling resumes, and BENEFITS
From: Annamaria Profit <inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 10:59:44 -0500

OK, I have to say, there are some benefits to hand-styling the document. Let me explain:
At that same regional organization heretofore unnamed,
The one with no stylesheet or corporate style manual,
we did proposals--usually 200+ pages each.
The ingredients of same were assembled in a kind of patchwork document,
from other proposals as much as 10 years old,
From ideas written by current SMEs, from different worksites,
From different machines, versions of WORD,
And shared electronically, across servers and by e-mail.

The working document was subject to version-differences, old style formats, different style
codings on different machines and servers, idiocyncratic changes by SMEs and
management in style, content, wording, and order of sections,
and general gremlins like viruses, worms, sudden crashes, etc.

EVERY time someone touched that working document throughout the timeframe for
production, the styles were mangled and cost me hours into the night to fix.
I finally locked the document down after red team, but still had management changes
right up to the DAY the document was due to the issuer of the RFP.

At least in a hand-styled document, a tab is ALWAYS a tab, bold is ALWAYS bold,
paragraph and page breaks are ALWAYS in the same place, etc.

I tried to get Framemaker on board, but management decided they needed help
actually planning the new business process more than I needed help producing any document.
They were/are right...

At 11:16 PM 1/31/02 -0600, Brad Jensen wrote:

I like a resume in text and as a doc. I can search the text.

Annamaria Profit
E-mail: inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net
"Where it is possible, live in peace with all men."

RoboHelp 2002 is now available! Get the very latest in Help functionality to
create superior Help systems. Special competitive upgrade pricing and other
pricing offers are in effect! Call today! Call now (800-455-5132) or visit
http://www.ehelp.com/techwr