RE: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: RE: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Annamaria Profit <inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:18:07 -0500

Kelley,

One chief benefit of doing contracting, from my viewpoint, is that it's a no-nonsense, task-oriented arrangement. A lot of the political baggage gets eliminated--they want a service, they know I can do it, they pay me well, and they give me a measure of respect that somehow gets lost in the employee/employer relationship. Maybe it's a more equitable power balance. But the relationship is more focused on those things that I really want to do, and more intense. Does that make sense? I'm not crazy about the instability or the ambiguity, but I'm the kind of constructionist personality that likes building things, then moving on to another productive task.

At 11:50 AM 2/4/02 -0500, Kelley wrote:

At 08:17 AM 2/4/02 -0800, Secara, Maggie wrote:

I have a lot of contracting on my resume because I have an addiction to
living indoors, not because I made a career choice.
I pointed out that someone who prefers contracting because they like sabbaticals probably won't be interested in captive employment. And, even if they were, they'd have an adjustment to make. I'm not sure I want to subsidize his or her transition time.

Annamaria Profit
E-mail: inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net
"Where it is possible, live in peace with all men."

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr