Re: FrontPage vs. HomeSite

Subject: Re: FrontPage vs. HomeSite
From: "Daniel Kamman, Information Consultant" <danielkamman -at- information-consultant -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:54:46 -0500

Writer Whirler wrote, in part:
"I have both FrontPage 4.0 and HomeSite . . .
I have been told that HomeSite produces HTML code that is more "pure" than
FrontPage, and that it produces better results. However, if I use FrontPage
for the new site, can I more easily keep links in place and "design around
them"? Will I have to redo everything (links) if I use HomeSite? . . .
does anyone have any opinions about either program?"

I use HomeSite with CSE HTML Validator (www.htmlvalidator.com/).
I have read about FrontPage and used HomeSite to improve
a Web page created with FrontPage.

If you are willing to learn HTML, I suggest HomeSite.
I had no problem learning HomeSite and HTML,
but I had written complex Microsoft Access Basic code.

My understanding is that FrontPage 2002 is much better than FrontPage 4.0
as far as code "purity"; short reviews from 2001 are at
www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,50413,00.asp,
www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2714620,00.html,
www.zdnet.com/supercenter/stories/review/0,12070,475871,00.html (longer).

I do not understand your question about keeping links in place,
but I see no reason to have problems with links in HomeSite.

Dreamweaver (www.macromedia.com, recent owner of HomeSite)
is more FrontPage-like, but - I've read and heard - harder to learn.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Kamman, Information Consultant and Copyeditor
Cambridge, MA, USA
danielkamman -at- information-consultant -dot- com
www.information-consultant.com
Information problems found and fixed.