RE: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: RE: Hiring Publications Managers
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:16:09 +1100

Looks like the touchpaper to the old "hiring a contractor for a permanent
role" debate has been started.

Whilst the contractors have strong grounds to feel discriminated against -
it is a double edged sword. Would a contractor hire for a short term
contract somewhere who had been working in the same position for 15 years in
a government department/service or a large company??

If hirers are going to be allowed to discard applicants on whether or not
they used tabs in a document, or the font-type of the month - then looking
at a resume and saying "changes job every few months, unexplained gaps,
we're after someone who will be stable, static and likely to stay at least a
year" becomes a valid argument.

Even if, as we all know, everyone is an individual and circumstances and
career desires can change.

Just my .5045 cents to the dollar

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes
(having worked both sides of the street, and seen folks get rundown
crossing...)