Re: What's happening with Interleaf?

Subject: Re: What's happening with Interleaf?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 07:44:22 -0500

Doug,

Fuhgeddaboudit. You can't buy it anymore. The company, mismanaged for years, constantly being reorganized, constantly changing their marketing model, finally succumbed. Broadvision, which bought the company, does not want to do business with you. Their current model, as I understand it, is to lease (not sell) the software, at something like $1,500 a seat per year, and only to large organizations. Single-user licenses are essentially unobtainable, although you are welcome to try.

The consensus seems to be that, if you want that kind of power, you should look at the most recent version of Corel Ventura Publisher. If you want to be in a mainstream user community, though, with portable skills, you should probably take a step down and learn FrameMaker.

Now, having said all that, if you just happen to find a copy of Interleaf to load on your home machine and fire it up once in a while to do a diagram or a table or something, and just send the EPS into your work account, well, who's gonna know ;-)

Dick

Doug -dot- Brode -at- valiantmachine -dot- com wrote:

What's happening with Interleaf? I used Interleaf way back when it was Interleaf
Publisher and had a WYSIWYG interface that rode on top of DOS on the PC. I loved
it. I'm currently working in Adobe PageMaker and find it does the job for the
kind of technical documentation we do at my current place of employment. I tried
to get information about Interleaf from users on the PageMaker mailing list.
Those who were familiar with it didn't have very good things to say. I think it
was a prejudice thing.

So what's the deal with Interleaf? Is it still a viable solution for technical
documentation? And how much is the software selling for now. Back about 6-7
years ago, when it was first being made available for MS Window, it was on sale
for US $999.