Re: job interview with tests

Subject: Re: job interview with tests
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:16:20 -0500

On my last writing test, I was given an hour to write, using Word, instructions to update your Windows display settings. I cracked my knuckles, spit on my palms and went to work. I was offered the job the next day.

(Five months later they fired my behind -- I was bored out of my skull and spent most of my time surfing the 'net, having exhausted all work-related avenues to productivity. Best thing that ever happened to me... the boss wondered how my test results could have been so good and my performance so bad...)

If this is the only kind of elementary writing test you are given, be prepared to ask lots of questions about the type and amount of work you will be offered, what technologies you will be expected to master, what outside and inside training opportunities will be available, what access you have to SMEs, other departments' experts, internal documentation, and so on. (Either that, or run like heck out of there.) If they are judging you on a high-school level, you might want to be prepared for a high-school work environment.

Sorry to by cynical! Once burned...