Re: Hiring Publications Manager...Question for Kelley...

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Manager...Question for Kelley...
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:32:20 -0500

<background>

* I'm a contractor. I've had four contracts in the last three years (one
a repeat engagement,) and been offered permanent at each one. (at the
repeat engagement, the offer was made again...)

I say this because I've shown three different employers that I have
"commitment and discipline". I chose (and continue to choose) to contract
for other reasons. (Sabbaticals are not one of them...)

* I think Kelley is on sound footing with her reasoning (even though her
phrasing of it doesn't sit well with me.)

In hiring a *manager* (not an individual contributor) I'd be looking for
someone with managerial experience. That would most likely be a permanent
employee as opposed to a contractor. Kelley and any other employer is
certainly right to expect someone going from contract to permanent to a.)
address the issue directly, and b.) make sure the candidate understands
the difference between contracting and permanent employment (not all do -
for that matter, many employers don't either. That's the subject of
another post...)

Again, I've been offered these kinds of positions and I turn them down. I
don't want to be a manager, period. Were I to be in a position to *have*
to apply for a managerial job, I would not expect Kelley to consider me
over a candidate who had a more suitable background.

</background>

<question>

Having said that, I've found the words "commitment", "discipline" and
"rewards" to be ambiguous (to put it mildly-if Ambrose Bierce was writing
the Devil's Dictionary today, I'm sure he'd have some pithy definitions
for these!) My question for Kelley is this:

* what do *you* mean when you use the terms "commitment" , "discipline",
and "rewards" ?

</question>

-Chuck

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com