To MW...what to say to the interviewers...

Subject: To MW...what to say to the interviewers...
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 08:52:11 -0500

<<<I will be laid-off in 30 days, and am being questioned by interviewers
as to why I have 3 contracts in 3 years, but no full-time jobs. I have
never been offered a full-time job, but would sure like one...>>>

MW, a lot of this particular thread is tainted with the anxiety you're
feeling. I feel it myself, and so do many others. Given your extreme
situation, the least we can do is accept your apology.

My advice in having to deal with this is simple (not easy, but simple):

tell the truth.

- I'm assuming that you were successful at each of these contracts. I'm
assuming you have references. If they would have offered you full time,
ask them to say so.

- The fact is, the employer has an idea in mind of what they want or
need, and you either match it or you don't. (whether they are *correct*
about it is another matter.) I've found that I would *rather* deal with
someone who knows exactly what they want, one way or another. I'm wary
of the prospect that *doesn't* know what they want from the outset; these
are the ones that turn into clients/employers from hell...

I don't care what color your parachute is - hunting for jobs/contracts is
a numbers game. There are too many factors beyond your control. All you
can do is put your best foot forward, build your network, learn from
others, and accept the fact that you can't be all things to all
prospects.

Now I've got to get back to the following:

- continue building my database and start pumping out resumes and
samples. (I've had one inquiry in 120 contacts, and that's about right
for cold contacting. I'm about a quarter of the way done...)

- call some of my agency contacts (so that they think of me first...most
of them will anyway, but I stay in touch)

- take another look at my resume (I added styles as Sharon B-H
recommended. In the course of doing that, I saw other improvements that
need to be made...)

All of this is boring work I'd rather not do. Tough. Time to put a*s to
chair...

-Chuck

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com