RE: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: RE: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 09:53:04 -0500

At 08:27 AM 2/4/02 -0800, John Posada wrote:

> > Also, as I said, I, personally, refuse to hire contractors
> > unless desperate because they made a choice to contract.

Just curious....what are the characteristics that you find
objectionable, that are qualifications of a good worker who also is a

OK. We have to settle on some first-principles to begin with. What I've read is this: Self-identified (and that's what I was speaking to, their strong self-identification) contractors are people who, by their own admission, have _freely_ chosen to reject captive employment for the delights of contracting because they have the following characteristics or beliefs:

-=- prefer to job hop
-=- get bored at the same job
-=- intend to leave a company for greener pastures
-=- enjoy honing their particular skills on fast-paced projects because
it is intense and demanding and they always want that level of
work activity
-=- believe that opportunities for innovation will typically lie w/in
themselves at a new organization, rather then w/in themselves at
current org.
-=- believe that their lifestyle TENDS to discourage deadwoodhood (I
like that neologism!), whereas captive employment doesn't.
these are tendencies, not absolutes.

Does that sound right?

RE: Hiring Publications Managers: From: Secara, Maggie
RE: Hiring Publications Managers: From: John Posada