Question: Comma Before Company Abbreviation?

Subject: Question: Comma Before Company Abbreviation?
From: Syed Ahmed <SAhmed -at- DKSYSTEMS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:09:46 -0600

Hi everyone,

I've been looking back at older copies of our guides and training manuals
that were distributed to customers (before I got here), and found an
inconsistency on the copyright page that has caused an argument.

My question: Does a comma precede an abbreviation of the company type? And
does the full spelling/abbreviation make a difference?

For example, is it

- GreatCompany, Inc.
or
- GreatCompany Inc.
or
- GreatCompany Incorporated
or
- GreatCompany, Incorporated

The issue stems from the fact that we've used both in the past, and I have
always seen it used as in the first example above. I've looked through the
Chicago Manual of Style and didn't find anything specifically addressing
this, and I haven't had a chance to check the archives or the web for
guidance. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Syed

Syed B. Ahmed
Technical Writer
DKSystems
444 North Michigan Ave.
Suite 3300
Chicago, IL 60611
ph 312.645.4319
fx 312.644.2703
www.dksystems.com

NOTICE: This is CONFIDENTIAL and contains proprietary copyrighted
information and/or software intended only for the named addressee. This
message and its attachments may also be subject to the terms of an existing
license agreement between DKSystems and the named addressee. Any software
or source code attached to this e-mail is the exclusive property of
DKSystems and is protected by United States and international copyright law
and trade secret law, as well as other state, federal and international laws
and regulations. No part of this communication may be reproduced or
distributed in any manner without the written permission of DKSystems.

If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately delete the message
including any attachments and destroy any printed copies, and either e-mail
the sender or notify DKSystems at our telephone number 312.644.2700.