RE: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: RE: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:36:56 -0500

At 5:15 PM -0500 2/5/02, Jim Shaeffer wrote:

If you contract, everybody knows what the job is. It is
narrowly defined in the contract.

If you are 'captive', then the job is potentially
anything you can make it.

Um...not necessarily.

There are companies where every position is narrowly defined and even captive workers are punished for straying outside the lines of the written job description. (I've worked for two companies like that. Someday, if you ask nicely, I may show you the scars.)

I've also had jobs---both captive and contract---where the job description was some variation on 'Ms. Nagel will be available for whatever needs doing between date A and date B at $X per hour' and I just showed up on date A and did...well...whatever needed doing, usually well beyond date B. In those places, if I could justify a project's worth to a honcho, the project was funded. Those places were hectic, but usually (not always) fun.

Ultimately, generalization about captive vs contract is frustrating because our assumptions usually get trumped by reality. Real Life does not fit neatly in boxes.