Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:59:08 -0800

Kat Nagel wrote:

I've also had jobs---both captive and contract---where the job description was some variation on 'Ms. Nagel will be available for whatever needs doing between date A and date B at $X per hour' and I just showed up on date A and did...well...whatever needed doing, usually well beyond date B. In those places, if I could justify a project's worth to a honcho, the project was funded. Those places were hectic, but usually (not always) fun.

Not only that, but some companies care about results more than methods. Within the limits of the job, contractors or employees are given considerable discretion, so long as they produce what's asked.
And when a company hires me under any condition, I consider that I'm being hired for my expertise, not to do a narrowly defined job. Not that I'm a loose cannon who will give unasked-for opinions, or volunteer for free labor, but, if I'm useful, I will be. For better or worse, that's how I work.

"More truth is what I need
Never mind if it makes me bleed."
- OysterBand, "On the Edge"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr