Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: "phart3" <phart3 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:08:45 -0500

Let s/he who is without employment cast the first aspersion on contracting.
<g> As someone who has spent his career working for startups and other
transient life forms, let me just toss out the possibility that someone with
numerous hops on his resume may not have had the choice of moving on. As a
result of my masochistic employment bent, I've put in my time working by the
hour and day, since bacon doesn't bring itself home. I don't think that
either of these characteristics makes me more or less desirable for any
position. And having been a doc manager several times over the last 20
years, I can attest to finding some great workers on the contracting side of
the fence.

The real question is: Can this person do the job? If you have questions,
ask the candidate to explain. Then, if the candidate seems like a good fit
(qualms aside), go deep with your reference checks until you're either
satisfied or not. But don't reject out of hand based on assumptions,
rumors, or emotion; there's enough of that stuff in the rest of life.

Besides, in this blasted "new economy" (same as the old, but with less
civility), *all* jobs are contract jobs - some just have benefits.

-Peter Hartman