Re: Failure rate of backup tapes?

Subject: Re: Failure rate of backup tapes?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:45:00 -0800

Hart, Rowena wrote:

- When backup tapes are made daily, what is an acceptable failure rate?
- What is a typical failure rate for backup tapes?

Any rate that causes you to lose data is unacceptable. That's not being flippant, either - just realistic.

I wonder whether, in this case, the tapes are simply old and have been used too many times? Backup tapes can take some pretty heavy usage, but they are the sort of thing that people forget to replace until they fail.

Also, an obvious point: having a regular backup routine is sensible. However, it's even more sensible to check the backup manually, and redo it if necessary. I've known more than one sysadmin to spend a morning cursing because a backup failed. Not that the backup was necessarily needed; they just saw ensuring a viable backup as part of their jobs.

"More truth is what I need
Never mind if it makes me bleed."
- OysterBand, "On the Edge"