Benefits of Contracting (was: Re: Hiring Publications Managers)

Subject: Benefits of Contracting (was: Re: Hiring Publications Managers)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:36:54 -0800

Elna Tymes listed many of the benefits of contracting.

One of the ones she didn't mention is that, as a contractor, you are often treated better (obviously, I'm excluding Clients From Hell in this comment). Having paid a good price for your expertise, managers are more likely to consult you, listen to you, and respect what you have to say. It's more of a business relation, which implies equality, than an employer-employee relation, which implies a hierarchy. Many executives are fond of saying that they feed their employees' families; by contrast, they're involved in an exchange with a contractor.

Not being much for hierarchies (no matter whether I'm on the top or the bottom), I consider this benefit one important. It keeps me relaxed, anyway.

"More truth is what I need
Never mind if it makes me bleed."
- OysterBand, "On the Edge"

RE: Hiring Publications Managers: From: Secara, Maggie
RE: Hiring Publications Managers: From: Kelley
Re: Hiring Publications Managers: From: Elna Tymes