Re: Failure rate of backup tapes?

Subject: Re: Failure rate of backup tapes?
From: Wolf Davidson <ghstwolf -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:28:57 -0800

Hi, Rowena;

That is an exceptionally high failure rate. Over my years
in the industry (starting as a computer operator, then
ops analyst, then systems analyst) any failure rate greater
than 5% resulted in a change of backup hardware and software.

Suggestion (and shameless plug): Check out the ECRIX VXA backup
system. A year ago, I won their SCSI-based VXA-1 33-gig (uncompressed)
backup system, and it has saved me on several occasions. Disclaimer:
I don't work for them; I am simply a very satisfied customer.

I use my VXA on a Windows 2k/NT/98 home network using the default
Windows 2000 backup utility; the system also works with Linux, Unix,
Solaris, Novell, and MacOS and more.

Hope this helps;

Wolf

Their URL is http://www.ecrix.com/.