Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Wolf Davidson <ghstwolf -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:16:55 -0800

At 10:53 PM 2/3/2002 -0500, Kelly wrote:

(clip)

>Also, as I said, I, personally, refuse to hire contractors unless desperate because they made a >choice to contract. It's a market. I make decisions. You make decisions. Our firm makes decisions. >We get disciplined by the market. In my role, I'm happy to discipline contractors. That means they >go at the bottom of the "Yes" pile. :)

(clip)

I have been both a contractor and a captive; the motivating factor simply
being having a family to support and the job market at the time.

The longest continuously-renewed contract I had was at Bell Communications
Research in New Jersey; 10 years worth of employment. Did I consider becoming
an employee there? Yes, several times.

Problem was, the difference in pay was formidable; I stated that to the various
hiring managers - and they renewed my contract. Honesty does pay off, sometimes.

Something to consider:

Successful contract writers, by the very nature of a contract position,
must be able to adapt rapidly and efficiently to the client's technology,
work environment, tools, and processes; i.e. "hit the ground running."

If they don't - they don't last.

Conversely, a "captive" is accustomed to the particular environment, tools,
and processes, some captives (usually) take longer to come up to speed and/or
adapt when changing jobs.

Personally, I feel that "locking out" contractors simply because that has been
their career path slams the door shut on valuable skills and expertise.

YMMV, of course.

Wolf

ghstwolf -at- nemasys -dot- com http://www.nemasys.com/wolf