Re: Question: Comma Before Company Abbreviation?

Subject: Re: Question: Comma Before Company Abbreviation?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:23:34 -0500

I don't think I said it was law.

The comma is part of the name and not a grammatical feature of the sentence,
isn't it?

I don't see parallels in the examples below. A name is to be considered as
a *word*, and words do not have punctuation.

However, with regard to the geographic example you presented (I will concede
that CMOS says the date must have the final comma), the following usage is
quite common, and I cannot find a rule to refute it:

"He lived in Washington, D.C. for 50 years." Of course in the example you
presented, the state was abbreviated.

I think we have two questions now -- the name question and the geographic
question.

Here are a couple of samples from recent news articles. It's true that
sometimes people also use a final comma after the "Inc.", but whether that
is wrong or not I am not sure.

1. http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020205/52801_1.html
CSS Industries, Inc. Reports Sales and Earnings for the Quarter and Nine
Months Ended December 31, 2001
PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 5, 2002--CSS Industries, Inc.
(NYSE:CSS - news) announced today the results of operations for the third
quarter and nine months ended December 31, 2001.

2. http://www.citrix.com/investors/Default.asp

Founded in 1989, Citrix Systems, Inc. is a global leader in application
serving

There are lots of examples of using "I lived in Albany, New York for 25
years."

Bonnie Granat
bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info
http://www.editors-writers.info