Re: Hiring Practices (was: Re: Inventing verbs)

Subject: Re: Hiring Practices (was: Re: Inventing verbs)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:16:04 -0800

Kelley wrote:

One thing that emerges from recent discussions is that hiring provides all of us (including me) with a tempting opportunity to exalt our personal preferences into principles of selection, justifying them and surrounding them with a false objectivity. This habit is very human, but it can work against us. At times, it can mean that we miss some of the best job candidates.

This is very true. But I hope you weren't directing this my way since I said from the get-go that I don't imagine the process to be anything but subjective and that, in the end, it is a crap shoot. It is alchemy, it can't be absolutely scientized. We can't eliminate risk; we can only manage it.

I was making a general comment, referring not only to the discussion about contractors, but also to last week's discussion about using styles on resumes. People will have to decide for themselves whether what I said applies to them or not.

"More truth is what I need
Never mind if it makes me bleed"
-OysterBand, "On the Edge"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr