Re: Hiring Practices (was: Re: Inventing verbs)

Subject: Re: Hiring Practices (was: Re: Inventing verbs)
From: Nora von Gerichten <wlg -at- pacificcoast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:14:35 -0800

Kelly wrote:

Well, they have very real concerns about whether I'm a good investment and 'fit' within the org. They may even think like this: "A navel gazing, arm-chair theorizing, absent-minded professor will just be too much effort to train. Fugghedaboudit. And, besides, must be a loser anyway since he didn't make it in academia."

I have been turned down for positions because of my education and I have gotten positions because of the letters after my name.

A few years ago I wrote a booklet, _96 Ways to Write Better Proposals_. Academic Press contacted me to turn this into a full length book. They sent me copies of the books they wanted mine to be included with to form a new venue. One, forget the author and title, was specifically about getting work with an advanced science degree outside of the "box" of what most people think of. The text is a collection of personal stories. Good book to check out.

Nora

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr