Re: Hiring Publications Managers

Subject: Re: Hiring Publications Managers
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:20:46 -0800

Kelley wrote:

Elna was clearly bothered by my use of some terms. I don't see how "job hopping" is such a bad thing, not as I read john, for instance. He's very proud of it. Why should that be insulting to you? And more interestingly, As others correctly pointed out, in the new economy, contracting has been the only way to advance for many people.

For most people, "job hopping" sounds like something akin to a bee, buzzing from flower to flower and taking the best of whatever's there before leaving for the next flower. It implies a lack of commitment to anything other than basic personal needs for things like money, new experiences, etc. And that's not what most contractors do. In my experience, contractors honor the fact that they sign a *contract* to do X amount of work for Y rate over a period of Z time. And then they respect the terms of the contract, even if, as frequently happens, the client changes his/her mind about X or Z. But the contractor then finishes the agreement, where possible, and moves on to the next opportunity. That's more like hiring someone to build you a house - and you wouldn't accuse most carpenters of "job hopping" just because they finish one house and move on to the next.

You're right about contracting having been pretty much the only way to advance for many people.

Btw, I admire your willingness to stand up and take the heat here on the board for a stance that many find a prejudice at worst, and an only moderately defensible set of preferences at best. As I often point out to people who work for us, it's the client's sandbox, and he can take the toys away at any time.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr