Re: Contracting and Managerial Experience (Re: Hiring Publications Manager...Question for Kelley...)

Subject: Re: Contracting and Managerial Experience (Re: Hiring Publications Manager...Question for Kelley...)
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:13:13 -0800

Bruce Byfield wrote:

Charles E Vermette wrote:

In hiring a *manager* (not an individual contributor) I'd be looking for
someone with managerial experience. That would most likely be a permanent
employee as opposed to a contractor.

Not necessarily. As a contractor, I've hired sub-contractors. In fact, to give an idea of how quickly contractors can gain experience, I first hired a sub-contractor after I had been working as a technical writer for about twenty months.

Me too.

I've observed that usually the career path in technical writing tops out either as a publications manager or a contractor. There are exceptions, of course, but in general after about 7 years as a technical writer, most companies regard you as eligible to run at least a small pubs department.

And once you've been a pubs manager for a while, you can either opt sideways into some other managerial field or go for the so-called fabulous rates contractors are reputed to collect. Therefore a lot of people who are contractors are likely to have had valuable experience as pubs managers. And the reasons they're contractors can be widely varied, as another thread has pointed out.

It therefore follows that, in this field, someone with the desired management experience is a least as likely to have been a contractor as a permanent employee.

That said, I can also tell you that my company frequently takes on whole projects and manages the whole thing, including project definition, budget, implementation and delivery, meetings with management, etc. In essence, we take on the pubs management job for a particular project.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems