Re: Terminology (definition of deprecated...)

Subject: Re: Terminology (definition of deprecated...)
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:58:15 -0500

I first came across this term when I contracted for NEC. The strict
definition is for a deprecated functionality is one that is supported in
the *current* product, but will be phased out in the *next* version of
the product/release.

To see it in its correct use: HomeSite warns you when you use a "font"
tag that the font tag is deprecated - it will not be supported in future
versions of HTML. It also recommends that you use CSS for font formatting
in anticipation of the change. This is both the proper use of the term,
and the proper way to document deprecated features (i.e., warn the user
that the functionality will be changed, and explain how to perform the
action with the new functionality...)

-Chuck

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com