Line Numbers in ASCII File

Subject: Line Numbers in ASCII File
From: "Steve Goldberg" <steveg -at- raqia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:05:23 -0500

We have a huge ASCII text file against which we would like to do
searches to find matching strings in the text. Once we match a
particular text string we would like to be able to determine on what
line number or page number that string is located.
Does anyone know of a way to do this? In Word, of course, it's simple,
but that formatting is lost when the file is saved as plain text.

Thanks in advance,

A question: From: P V